Sales & Use Tax Manager
CEC Entertainment, the global leader in family entertainment and operator of Chuck E. Cheese and Peter Piper Pizza restaurants and entertainment venues, and Pasqually’s Pizza & Wings has an immediate opening at our Support Center based in Irving, TX for an experienced Sales & Use Tax Manager. This position reports directly to the VP of Tax and Treasurer.
This is a unique role where the Manager will spend approximately one-third of his/her time performing traditional compliance work, and two-thirds of his/her time: (i) managing sales/use tax audits and appeals, (ii) managing and monitoring use tax accruals via an automated/integrated tax engine (OneSource Indirect Tax), (iii) performing internal reviews and reverse self-audits, and managing third-party outside consulting firms engaged from time to time to perform reverse audits.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform all duties and responsibilities with a friendly sense of urgency in support of our corporate objectives, including: “If you are not serving the Guest, serve someone who is.”
- Tax Compliance:
- Preparation of transaction tax returns (e.g., Sales/Use Tax, Gross Receipts, Liquor, Gaming tax returns, etc) and issuance of tax payments associated therewith.
- Assist in compiling data, updating schedules, etc., associated with the sales/use tax compliance and transaction-based tax returns.
- Monthly and quarterly close processes, account reconciliations, and general ledger accounting relating to transaction taxes.
- Compliance with SOX 404 controls relating to transaction taxes and the accounting related thereto.
- State/Local Audits, Reverse Audits, and Management of Consulting Firms:
- Management of sales/use tax audits conducted by State and local taxing jurisdictions as well as Canadian jurisdictions— including management of statutes of limitations, information/data requests, and issuing timely responses as well as appeals.
- Tracking and management of notices issued by jurisdictions and responses thereto.
- Management of third-party consulting firms performing reverse audits and reviews.
- Performance of internal reverse audits and reviews to detect under/over accruals and when necessary filed refund claims and/or amended returns. Staying up-to-date and aware of new laws, regulations, court cases, and administrative developments to ensure that all sales/use tax returns are prepared in accordance therewith.
- Coordination with Accounting, Accounts Payable and IT Departments to efficiently obtain data and reports necessary for the accurate and effective reporting of sales/use tax including use of Thomson Reuters Indirect Tax (tax determination engine) integrated with the Company’s ERP and A/P accounting process.
- When necessary, research the taxability, applicable tax rate, exemptions available if necessary, nexus, etc., and effectively communicate results thereof.
- Respond to tax questions and/or problems from Field Operations and Corporate Support Center personnel.
- Co-Lead and Team member responsible for analyzing and improving processes centered on proper monthly accruals and reporting of sales/use taxes.
- Issue notices and other instructions when tax law changes affect the methods used to collect tax reporting data including office training for A/P Specialists and Support Center personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years of Sales/Use Tax experience (sales/use tax compliance, audit, appeals, reverse-audits)
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Excel (vLookup, Sumifs, Pivot tables, charts, etc.), Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook
- Sound financial accounting skills (debits and credits)
- Experience with OneSource Indirect Tax is a plus
- Experience with Workday (ERP) is a plus
To perform the duties of this position, the incumbent must have the ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, twist, reach, and carry, lift, pull, push between 1 – 25 lbs. Incumbent must use a computer, with repetitive movement of both hands. Incumbent must be able to work an 8-hour shift, with some overtime.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions is included.
About the Company:
CEC Entertainment is the nationally recognized leader in family entertainment and dining with both its Chuck E. Cheese and Peter Piper Pizza restaurants as well as the virtual kitchen brand Pasqually’s Pizza & Wings. As the place where a million Happy Birthdays are celebrated every year, Chuck E. Cheese’s goal is to create positive, lifelong memories for families through entertainment, food, and play. The Company and its franchisees operate a system of 558 Chuck E. Cheese restaurants and 114 Peter Piper Pizza stores, with locations in 47 states and 15 foreign countries and territories. More than 10,000 employees are dedicated to ensuring Every Guest Leaves Happy!
CEC Entertainment offers a wide variety of benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and 401(k) retirement savings plan to eligible U.S. employees as part of their overall employment package. We also offer job training and career growth opportunities.
At CEC Entertainment, we believe that our workforce should reflect the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of the many guests we serve. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ancestry, color, genetics, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran status, or on the basis of any other federal, state or local protected class. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check and drug screen. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States